smt associates


Building Pathology


"There is no-one I have worked with in Cornwall who knows so much about the use of lime, sands, and other traditional materials for use in repair and conservation of old buildings"A.P. English Heritage

"Stephen takes a very methodical approach to conservation repair and deals with each challenge in a careful sequence of stages"

"Stephen is now probably the top expert in Cornwall on the analysis of damp problems in historic buildings" E.B. Conservation Officer

Read more here


Planning & Building Regulations

Alterations effecting the exterior appearance of a property will usually require planning permission. There are certain works which may be undertaken using ‘permitted development rights apply’ but these generally apply to minor alterations such as small porch extensions, installation of satellite dishes and replacement roofs, windows and doors – providing there is no material change and the property is not listed or within a conservation area.


If you are unsure whether a proposal requires planning approval or not, please do not hesitate to contact us for guidance.

The Planning Process

building-pathology-cornwallThe planning application process is a statutory requirement and the local authority will grant or refuse permission subject to the design and scale of the proposal together with compliance with local planning policies.

The formal application route is an 8 week process from the time that the application is deposited and registered with the local authority, although this can be extended by agreement to 13 weeks.

Prior to submitting a planning application, local authorities prefer an informal ‘pre-application advice’ submission which is free and they aim to respond within 15 days, but this timescale is not a statutory requirement!

Please contact us for more information.

Planning permission was sought for development of this greenfield site

In-House Planning Service

A large proportion of our business relates to planning applications and would be very pleased to discuss your requirements. As a multi-disciplinary practice we are able to undertake the common application requirements ‘in-house’ which enables us to keep costs to the minimum

Equally, we are very happy to undertake specific sections of the planning submission for the client to compile and submit.

Plans are drawn up in-house

Building Regulations


Building regulation approval is required for a wide range of building works, from simple extensions of domestic houses to new buildings.

More recently, electrical installations, the replacement of windows, doors and roof coverings and internal re-plastering have become ‘controlled works’ requiring a building regulation application unless the work is undertaken by an approved contractor.

Usually, if planning permission is required it is very likely that building regulation approval will also be needed. Works which do not require planning permission will normally include an aspect of ‘controlled works’ therefore a building regulation application should be submitted. If you are unsure if your proposals require building regulation approval or not, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Extension to listed building in St Column Major
Front elevation   Rear elevation


Reading Room Feock Conversion to Dwelling   Farm House Helston Refurbishment – Tregothnan Estate